The Jade Monkey

I didn't have a superiority complex until inferior people gave me one.

Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

12.20.2004

Favorite Christmas Carols

Hugh played several versions of "Mary Did You Know?" on his show tonight (some better than others), which is one of my favorites (and I'll never forget my shock at having learned that goofball Mark Lowry had authored it - it's something akin to the shock of Jim Carrey in a dramatic role), and since I'd already been planning on posting favorite Christmas Carols, this seemed like a good time. My other modern favorite is Chris Rice's "Welcome To Our World," another extremely beautiful and moving song (I also have a soft spot for Rich Mullin's "You Gotta Get Up" both because it makes me smile, and because Rich is the greatest, may he rest in peace). The lyrics, for those unfamiliar with these two songs:

Welcome To Our World by Chris Rice

Tears are falling, hearts are breaking
How we need to hear from God
You've been promised, we've been waiting
Welcome Holy Child
Welcome Holy Child

Hope that you don't mind our manger
How I wish we would have known
But long-awaited Holy Stranger
Make Yourself at home
Please make Yourself at home

Bring Your peace into our violence
Bid our hungry souls be filled
Word now breaking Heaven's silence
Welcome to our world
Welcome to our world

Fragile finger sent to heal us
Tender brow prepared for thorn
Tiny heart whose blood will save us
Unto us is born
Unto us is born

So wrap our injured flesh around You
Breathe our air and walk our sod
Rob our sin and make us holy
Perfect Son of God
Perfect Son of God
Welcome to our world

You Gotta Get Up (Christmas Song) by Rich Mullins

I thought Christmas Day would never come
But it's here at last, so mom and dad, the waiting's finally done
And you gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up
It's Christmas morning

Last night I heard reindeers on my roof
Well you may think I'm exaggerating but I swear I'm tellin' you the truth
And you gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up
It's Christmas morning

Did my sister get a baby doll? Did my brother get his bike?
Did I get that red wagon, the kind that makes you fly?
Oh, I hope there'll be peace on earth
I know there's good will toward men
On account of that Baby born in Bethlehem

Did my sister get her baby doll? Did my brother get his bike?
Did I get that red wagon, the kind that makes you fly?
Oh, I hope there'll be peace on earth
I know there's good will toward men
On account of that Baby born in Bethlehem

Mom and Daddy stayed up too late last night
Oh, I guess they got carried away in the Christmas candlelight
And you gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up
It's Christmas morning

And you gotta get up, you gotta get up, you gotta get up






For traditional favorites, I'll have to go with the 3 O's:

1. O Come, O Come Emmanuel
2. O Holy Night
3. O Little Town of Bethlehem

I'll take it for granted that everyone either knows these 3 (and, perhaps a bit more risky an assumption, "Mary Did You Know?" as well) or can easily find them, and not post lyrics for them.

Merry Christmas all.

(P.S. a surgery update: Mom is coming home from the hospital tomorrow. She got a new roommate for tonight, and by a strange it's-a-small-world coincidence it was my brother's guidance counsellor from high school! Thanks again for the prayers and please keep them coming!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home