The Jade Monkey

I didn't have a superiority complex until inferior people gave me one.

Name:
Location: San Antonio, Texas, United States

5.05.2005

All Politics Being Local

Guess I'll blabber some about the San Antonio Elections. Early voting ended today (author's note: two days ago which was when I actually wrote this, but accidentally "saved as draft" rather than "published post." Because I'm smart like that) , and Honest-to-God Voting Day is the 7th.

The mayor's race has been interesting to say the least. Frontrunner Julian Castro has been embroiled in all types of scandals, from improperly filed finance reports to Twingate which made national news (in case you missed it, he had his brother Joaquin stand in for him on a barge in the river parade during Fiesta). In addition, there seems to be the issue of a phantom push poll, which magically only Castro's campaign manager seemed to get called with (all 40+ questions of it), which he transcribed and then tried to blame the Schubert campaign for attacking the Hardberger campaign with it...but the rub is the Hardberger and Schubert campaign seemed to think the Castro campaign was behind it all (unless they concocted it between the 2 of them to damage Castro's campaign, oh the intrigue...).

And there's also been the debate over the debates - although there are 7 candidates on the ballot, only the leading 3 (the aforementioned Castro, Hardberger, and Schubert) have been allowed in the debates. I ended up voting for one of the other 4; indeed the one I suspect will come in dead last in the voting, but I liked him (as well as the other small 3) better than the big 3. Everett Caldwell got my vote. A 70-year old veteran-turned-farmer. Castro is liberal and I just don't trust him. Hardberger's also much too liberal, though I'd have much more confidence in him running the city. And Schubert's the nominal conservative in the race, but seems to have a rather limited vision. Maybe I'm trusting too much in the characterization of him from what I'm sure are liberal sources, and maybe a narrow vision is appropriate at times, I don't know. But the bottom line is I wasn't happy with any of the big 3.

The top dog among the remainders, Rhett Smith, I also felt uncomfortable with because I felt his campaign statement at the election website was too much pandering to get my Christian vote (but perhaps because he's been kept out of the debates and such, he had to go a little overboard to identify himself). Upon further review, the guy's a jackass, attacking President Bush during his completely unsuccessful attempt to unseat Lamar Smith (R) in the U.S. House of Representatives. Take this quote: "The president hides behind his religious extremism, which is inappropriate at this level of politics" and compare it to his John Kerry Christianity. It's guys like Kerry and Smith that have to keep reminding people of their religious bona-fides - because they only take them out to win votes, they don't live them.

Caldwell's statement hit the right notes in context and substantive terms, noting his support for faith-based initiatives, and his concern with teenage pregnancy rates without pandering. Unlike the lunatic secularist left that likes to portray President Bush as a radical Bible-thumper, I find his approach more consistent with Caldwell's than Smith's. He doesn't just go around yelling "Hey, I'm a Christian!" but in a substantive and thoughtful way lets his faith inform his policy.

In the case of a runoff, I'm sure I'll support Schubert over either Hardberger or Castro, and probably Hardberger over Castro (which is the unfortunate prospect I see myself facing).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home